Welcome to all of Dr. Steven Kottemann’s patients!! This site has been created as a permanent record of all the testimonials submitted by you. As his patients, you know what a phenomenal doctor he is. Let’s send that message all over cyber-space. Please click on the ‘Follow’ button in the right hand column if you wish to receive email notifications of new articles. If you would rather not register but have something to say, just leave a comment by clicking on the blue cloud above or on ‘Leave a Reply’ below.
We continue to receive testimonials both on Facebook and on this blog. The membership of the Facebook page has gone over 600 now. This number represents many more patients than 600 since most of our entire families, some for several generations, also are his patients. The sentiments expressed are from the heart.
The following testimonials are from posts made on Facebook beginning on October 9th:
- Sam Ballance This is in support of Dr. Steve Kotteman and to also show my disgust in the Memorial Medical system of how they perceive human life. Dr. Steve Kotteman has been, and if I have anything to do with it, will continue to be my family physician. For over 30 years, Dr. Kotteman has not only been a comfort in a time of need for us, but his professionalism combined with his compassion for his patients has always given me the confidence knowing when I needed someone with those qualities to treat my family I could always count on him to deliver. Dr. Kotteman always went that extra mile, always took that extra step, took that extra minute with us to make sure all the bases were covered before that diagnosis made. This is what people of compassion look for in a care taker.
- Randy Sue Lehner Payne Dr. Kottemann has been our family doctor for many many years. After moving away from Lincoln we would still make the drive home to Lincoln for medical visits. It didn’t matter in net work or out of net work with insurance, we wanted OUR doctor. He is the BEST of the best. and we don’t want another doctor.
- Susan Cowen March-Ellison Talk about making a grown women CRY! Dr.Steven Kotteman My Dr. My Friend…Memorial Health Systems SHAME ON YOU! God don’t like UGLY! Prayers for him Love n respect Always ♥
- Matthew Ballance Keep you head up Dr. Kotteman! You are a great Dr. and i just hope that if you keep practicing that i will be able to still consider you my Dr. This is completely pothetic and do not understand why an Idiotic Medical system would punish and or try to change the ways of such a great Dr. that is trusted and loved by so many! I hope that Memorial is Happy and I really hope that a lot of these comments find there way to there board of directors so maybe they will reconsider their actions and if not the board really needs to reconsider their mission!!
- Cindy Probst Smith Dr. Kotteman, we just learned about this. We had called for an appointment and they said you were on medical leave. When we heard the truth, we were upset. You have been an amazing doctor for my our whole family for 11 years. You are so patient and really take your time with your patients. Thank YOU!!!
- Jean Van Fossan Boyer I have doctored with Dr. K. for at least 29 years. My husband and both children also have doctored with him. I total trusted him and his brilliant advice on all of his diagnoses. After the way the people at MMC and Family Medical Center have lied to all of us, I could NEVER trust anyone there except Dr. K. Dr. K. is not only my doctor, but I consider him my friend. I don’t like it when people treat my friend the way they have treated him. Even Dr. Kasa stabbed Dr. Kottemann in the back..he is no better than Ed Curtis or Susan Shull. Hopefully Dr. K will come back, but really could understand if he didn’t just because of the way they have treated him.
The outpouring of support and concern for our Dr. Kottemann is absolutely overwhelming! It causes me to wonder if he ever, during his 30+ yrs of serving in Lincoln, had an inkling of how much he is loved in this community and in the surrounding area. If he didn’t realize it before, he sure realizes it now! Honestly, I am having trouble copying & pasting fast enough!! :) Thank you to all who have had the courage to post your stories here and I don’t doubt that there are many more who have stories to tell. Keep ‘em coming. These stories are history being recorded right now. Our children and grandchildren may someday learn about how we all came together in 2011 to defend a good doctor whose only ‘mistake’ was in giving ‘too much’ time and excellent care to his patients.
Continuing posts from the past 3 weeks:
- Clare Cameron Schmidt Steve Kottemann has been my family doctor for 30 plus years. I have never been to a more caring doctor. He has treated me with such care over the years and my children that i can’t imagine having any other doctor. He listens to everything you have to say. Who cares if he doesn’t like computers? I think it is appalling that a great doctor and friend and supporter of the community has been treated so shabbily. After all the years of exemplary performance and being a good citizen of this community, MMC would treat him like that. I think it is about the all mighty dollar here and that is a real shame. If he chooses to not retire and open an office elsewhere…..I’m there. Just let me know where to transfer the records. I can’t imagine having any other Doctor. If he has to go then I will probably go to another town for a doctor. I can’t imagine going back there and seeing another Dr. knowing how they treated him. It is really sad. Whatever happened in having pride in the fact that they had an excellent Doctor that treated all his patients with respect, compassion and the utmost care? I went to many doctors (7) before I came to Lincoln and he figured out what my problem with my health was. I had given up on anyone figuring out what was wrong. I was told 7 different things….none of which was correct. He has cared for my children through many illnesses over the years. I have complete trust in him and am very sad that this has happened to him. Like I said, if he chooses to practice somewhere else than i will go where he goes.
- Pamela Laubenstein He has always been a great Doctor. Jaden had a pretty rough time when he was only a couple of months old until he was about 2 or so. Kotteman was amazing throughout all of this. He gave his home and cell number to me so I could call anytime! He personally met us at the ER on several occasions. Love the way he takes the time to listen to his patience concerns!!!!!
- Joyce Fulk I certainly hope this is not true! He has been my doctor for over 35 years and I can’t imagine going to anyone else. He is the kindest, most thorough doctor I’ve ever known. He was very careful about diagnosing and discussing your prognosis and treatment plan. And he took the appropriate time with his patients and didn’t make us feel like cattle being led to slaughter. I never minded waiting when I had an appointment cause I was confident he would also spend the necessary time with me. We love Dr. Kottemann!
- Shannon Whiteman Moore Dr. Kotteman has been my doctor since before I was born and I refuse to have any other doctor!!!!
- Denise Schaub I really like Dr. Kottemann. He is a very caring doctor who puts his patients first. I hadn’t heard the news until just a few minutes ago when I stumbled across this page. It sounds like he is being treated unfairly. I will pass the news along about this page, and maybe together, as a communtiy, we can do something.
- Bonnie Brown Montgomery Because he cares more about his patients then the new hi tech toys in the office that they are now required to spend their time on. He would rather look you in the eye while speaking to you instead typing on the computer during your conversation.
- Barbara Boyd Seggelke Dr. Kotteman has been our family doctor for many many years. I’m shocked to learn this news, he is a caring man and a wonderful doctor.
- Tami Kennett I have always liked and respected Steve Kottemann – unfortunately this is typical of the Memorial Healthcare system and Ed Curtis.
- Mary Peters Harmsen Dr. Kotteman has been my doctor for 27 years. He is awesome! I value his opinion and think very highly of him! I will follow him if he goes elsewhere. Hopefully, he will get to stay where he belongs!
- Dee Loughmiller He has been my parents Dr. for many years. He is the one who found my dad’s heart problem and he would not have been with us for the amount of time we did have him. Unfortunately he is gone, but not because Dr. Kotteman didn’t care. He has been nothing but wonderful to my mom as well. I hope they realize what they are doing to such a great Dr. Human touch goes a long way.
- Michelle Barkley Carroll Dr. Kottemann has been our family doctor for 20 years. He diagnosed what was wrong with our second daughter after the pediatrician in Springfield kept telling me there was nothing wrong with her!! I trust him, respect him, and am grateful for the amount of time he spends with his patients! I’d rather wait and get a correct diagnosis from a Dr. who listens & cares than be rushed in and out & incorrectly diagnosed in the name of “technology”
- Trenton Crawford I’m only 15 years old, but I’m very opinionated and quite frankly utterly disgusted by all of this. Dr. K has always treated my family right since he’s been here for the past 3 generations of my family. Ever since I was a little kid I would always ask question and he would always have answers and just thought it was hilarious that I was always so curious. HE is the reason why I’ve decided to pursue practicing medicine and want to become an oncologist. He has inspired so many of us in the town of Lincoln, and he is by far the best doctor we have, so what the Memorial Health System is doing is morally wrong, and the people of Lincoln should march down to every corned of the Memorial Health System and protest against this bureaucracy!!!! I will gladly collect petitions if people would be willing to meet somewhere and send them enclosed with a very long letter describing how devastating this is to the people in the great town of Lincoln.
- Elaine Aue Dr Kottemann has been my doctor for as long as I can remember. He delivered both of my children, sent my daughter to St. Johns neonatal after she was born to discover an underdeveloped esophagus valve that could’ve caused her to choke to death. He discovered a skin cancer spot on my back that we were able to remove before it required chemo or radiation. He treated both my husband and my father for heart attacks…my father’s requiring 6 bypasses. He has always taken the time to listen to any and all of his patients and never made you feel like you were wasting his time. He never prescribes any medication without thoroughly checking out the symptoms. I have the utmost respect for him and I think it’s time for our healthcare system to ask what’s more important…speed of service or quality? Dr. Kottemann is a leader in his field when it comes to quality!
- Terry Brooks Dr Kottemann, has been our family physician for over 30yrs. SO disappointed in the actions and attitudes (of the powers that be) at MMC that are being shown to such a dedicated doctor and compassionate human being! Thank You, Dr. K for “taking the time”! And to the board of MHS…..you’ve truly disgraced yourself!
- Lisa Feese Ramlow Dr. Kottemann delivered both my children and has cared for our family for many years. I have been the “emergency” so I don’t mind when I occasionally have to wait for him, even when I have an appointment. I thank him, sincerely, for his compassion.
- Lesleigh Simpson Bennett Prayers for you and thoughts about you are happening at the Bennett’s. God Bless You Dr. Kottemann.
- Lesley Rhodes Mccoy Thank you Dr. Kottemann for providing thorough healthcare, both to me and to others I care about. You will remain in my prayers.
- Eleanor Troyer Sharp Without a doubt an excellent doctor. Worked at ALMH as an RN for almost 37 years. Knew Dr. Kottemann throughout most of my career. I am now retired. Wish him only the best of luck!!
- Tristan Lemme-Brosamer This is Tristan’s mom speaking. Dr Kottemann has been our family doctor for three generations of my family. He has been there with us through births, strep throat, ear infections, sadness, happiness, surgeries, and finally death. There is no one I would rather have had with us. He is gentle and compassionate, intelligent and kind. A truly fine man that we consider a friend. I would wait two hours for him if I had to because I know once he comes into that examining room his attention is all mine. I hate what has been done to him! Where are you going, Steve? Because we’re coming too. -Christie
- Clara Detmers Dr. Kotteman is a very compassionate Dr. Always has been and if he needs a half hr or more to talk to you about your health and concerns he takes it. That is what a Dr. is all about if he is worth his salt. Shame on Memorial health system for treating him like they did. I didn’t know that you had to take computer courses in med school to become a true and honest and caring doctor such as Dr. Kotteman. He has been my dr. Since Dr. Tomlinson left Lincoln and Hopefully he will stay my Dr. WAKE UP Mr. Ed Curtis and apolige and get him back there quickly!! I and many others need him. My thoughts and prayers goes out to Dr. Kotteman and his family. You have nothing to be ashamed of so hold your heads up high and be proud as you have made all of us proud of you. Hugs
- Jennifer Matthews Dr Kotteman is the only Doctor my family truly trusts here. We love the fact that NO ONE messed with his kid patients unless he knew it. He took longer than other Doctors because he cared and we were never a number to him! I truly do NOT want any other Lincoln Doctor but him!
- Heather Raymond Dr. Kottemann is the greatest doctor I have ever known. He takes the time and truly listens to his patients. He listens even when other doctors won’t. I took my oldest to Lincoln ER when he was 2 and half years old because he had a febrile seizure. The doctor at the ER informed us that Johnathan couldn’t have had a seizure and that my family didn’t know what we were talking about. We took him to see Dr. Kottemann the next day and he admitted him to the hospital. Half an hour after being admitted he had another seizure that was witnessed by the nursing staff. He is good about referring his patients to see good specialists to determine if there is something wrong even if he thinks there is only a small chance. My kids are not afraid to see him even though they are afraid of the hospital sometimes. They all know that Dr. Kottemann always makes them feel better. He is about always doing what is best for his patients!
- Kaye Wilmert Dr. Kottemann is an excellent diagnostician and physician – if only the world had more like him – not less. He has been my entire family’s (parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, aunts, uncles, cousins) doctor for 3 decades and he has been a wonderful physician. Doctors like him are few and far between. We need him.
- Judy Ramlow Kukuck It is so sad to think that a caring and compassionate Doctor is being pushed out because of computer technology. Being computer savy is not one of the considerations I look at when picking a Doctor. Dr Steve has been our Dr for over 30 years. He is wonderful. Surely there is some way to “overcome” this technology issue. This is a real slap in the face to Dr Steve and his patients!
- Dana Tanner Berkshire Dr. Kottemann has been a wonderful doctor for my mom since she moved to Lincoln 6 1/2 years ago. I don’t care about his computer technology. I like the way he cares for her and sees to her every need. He is a wonderful, caring, compassionate, and an extremely knowledgeable doctor. Isn’t that what we all look for? I never ask if medical people have computer skills!
- Ruth Jansen Freesmeier Thoughts and prayers to the Kottemann family. This is just the beginning of a bad healthcare system… shame on you that forced this early retirement and lied to the people of Lincoln!
- Bonnie Riccolo Frawley Dr. Kottemann has been our family Dr. for 30+ yrs. Needless to say, we have the utmost faith & respect for him. So very, very sad that the almighty dollar is a priority for Memorial Health Systems instead of peoples’ health. The sun rises & sets on this man whom has been so dedicated to the profession he chose. He is honest, caring, compassionate, conservative, thoughtful and one-of-kind. Our hearts are heavy & know the system sucks~ as it can be manipulated by the administration who is pushing the pencil & crunching numbers – The hell with the patients & the dedicated professional.
- Kathi LaForge SHAME ON MEMORIAL HEALTH SYSTEM. Dr. Kottemann has been my Dr. for 30+ years. He has taken care of all of my family members. He went to my Great Grandmothers house when she was 90+ years old and couldn’t come into his office. He has sat at my Fathers bedside until he passed from cancer, and now taking care of my 89 year old mother in the nursing home. I have worked at FMC with Dr. Kottemann and I know what kind of a Dr. and a man he is. I left FMC before things really got bad for the employees there. He may not know how to work the computer, but that wasn’t a requirement for me or my family when we needed him. No one can match his excellent care and compassion for others. My heart goes out to him and his family. I wish this wasn’t about Memorial and the all might dollar, but friends it is. If Dr. Kottemann is not at FMC–you can bet I won’t be there either!
- Courtney Raymond Dr. Kottemann is the only doctor I have seen, with my ongoing health problems, that has never made me feel small. We have discussed my smoking, weight, and diabetes. Because of my family history with heart disease and diabetes, he has always been concerned, but not once has he scolded me like a child, like most doctors do, he has treated me like a person and because of that, I have tried to take better care of my self. I have lost nearly 40 pounds in a year, yes I still struggle with the smoking, but he talks to me, not down to me. That is why I see him as a trusted doctor, but also a part of my family. He will be missed by family very much. I hope he will start his own practice I would be proud to be his first patient.
- Shannon Jones Dr Kottemann has been my doctor since he came to Lincoln. He delivered one of my children. I worked as a nurse with him and occasionally for him at FMC from 1988-2010. He has always been the most caring and compassionate of men, the kind of doctor who would not give up on any patient no matter what. To work at FMC now you have to embrace MMC policies and for those with a conscience that is a very hard thing to do. My thoughts and prayers are with you Dr. Kottemann and Bonnie.
Our voices are being heard! I am happy to say that an article has been posted by Warner Todd Huston on his website The Prairie State Report explaining what has happened to our wonderful doctor.(Click on the link above to read his excellent article)
Please share his article on Facebook, Twitter, and via email to help spread the word. There may be other excellent physicians all over the USA who are or will be experiencing similar difficulties with the mandated new electronic records.
Surely there is a better solution to handling this necessary record keeping. As many of you have noted in your comments on this site and on Facebook, there are people who are trained to enter medical data. Why not hire someone to do this for the doctors who have not grown up at a computer keyboard? And/or if there are programs that will reliably transfer medical dictation to electronic data, that could be an appropriate solution to assisting our experienced physicians who have not developed computer skills. Our experienced doctors have been too busy taking care of their patients to sit and play on their home computers! Should they be punished for that usage of their time and abilities?
There are too many fine physicians in danger of being shown the exit door. Since when do we reward a life-time of study, experience, and dedication to medicine in this way? I believe electronic records can be helpful but it seems that the medical powers-that-be are in panic mode because of the deadline imposed on the implementation of this legislation.
I think that we should continue to positively support Dr. Kottemann and keep doing what we are doing. His record speaks for itself, but we, his patients can also speak up. And we have been doing just that ever since we learned of this turn of events here in Lincoln, Illinois. I hope and pray that this situation will somehow be used for good in the lives of all concerned on both sides of the issue.
Thank you to Mr. Warner Todd Huston for shining more light on this subject. And thanks to all of you who have been brave enough to speak up on behalf of Dr. Kottemann.
P.S. I will be posting more testimonials as time and health permits but I wanted to give this article in the Prairie State Report the attention for today.
This is another post compiled from testimonies posted on the Facebook page as well as from comments left on this website.
- Michele Rohlfs Dr. Kotteman delivered myself & my brother. He’s been my kids’ doctor for almost their entire lives. Since when does technology trump patient care? I could care less if he keeps my medical records on stone tablets as long as he continues to provide the same level of care that he’s always provided me & my family.
- Wanda Whitson Aue .Dr Kottemann simply cannot be replaced. Also I should note that since I have been out of state and have had to see other DR’s I nearly died twice. I really did knock on death’s door twice. Both times was being treated by newer younger doctors who spent more time on the computer than with me when I was sitting in the room right in front of them. Doctors like DR Kottemann cannot be replaced. Do not let him go. I was pregnant with my second child and scared to death because I had nearly lost my first. Dr Kottemann was a new doctor in town. He was wonderful. He continued being my doctor, and after having delivered my second, also delivered my third. He became the doctor for my family, my parents, then my sister and her kids, He has continued being our family doctor as new babies and grandbabies came into the picture. I can safely say that he has gone over and beyond what he had to do and our entire family never wants to see him go anywhere! He is my exhusbands doctor even as we speak, and I think is also currently seeing my sister and possibly one or two of the kids
- Melanie Williams Urbanowicz Dr. Kottemann has been my doctor for 30+ years and I can’t imagine finding another doctor who could ever replace him. He is the epitome of what a doctor should be. Caring, compassionate, knowledgeable, hard working, and above all else I trust him completely! Trust is a huge issue for me, 10 other doctors could tell me the same thing but I would not feel comfortable until Dr. Kottemann confirmed for me that he thought it was best for me. Memorial has made a big deal out of telling patients they want you to feel comfrotable asking any questions you might have for your doctor and how important it is to tell them everything. How can they mean this if they have a problem with the amount of time Dr. Kottemann spends with his patients. When I leave his office I know what I need to know about the reason he’s seeing me. He’s not just shooting the breeze, he’s too busy being a DOCTOR for that!
- Nancy Kleinman He delivered my daughter 25 years ago and is still my doctor. I really like him. If it is true that he’s being let go because of the computer issue – that’s a crock!
- Maggie Aue If it werent for Dr. Kotterman, my daughter Karlie may have serious kidney issues…but because of him recognizing that more was going on than just a uti she was able to get the corrective surgery she needed to keep her healthy..And whenever myself or one of my children needed him he was always there.
- Natalie Aue Dr. Kotterman delivered and when I was born and has ALWAYS been my Dr. I couldn’t imagine not going to him!
- Elizabeth Sutton Cassidy Dr. Kotteman is a wonderful doctor. He has been my doctor since I was 5 or 6. He is also my sister, my Mom and Dad’s and my nieces doctor as well. He has always taken good care of ALL of us and NEVER once treated us badly. Technology is NOT better than personal care, he is the best doctor at that medical center and I back him up 100 %!!
- Lori Frazier Dr. Kottemann IS and Always will be the Best and most Caring Doctor! He is always committed to and concerned about every one of his patients! – He has been our family Dr. for many many years & like Priscilla said “He’s not only your Doctor but your friend”! What is wrong with Memorial Hospital?
- Nancy Bierman Howard I know that he’s currently on leave. My mom was in the hospital this last weekend, and some there told us what’s being said here, too long with patients and having trouble and not wanting to use the computer. My mom has had serious medical issues over the last couple of years. He’s her doctor and mine. He has sat with us at least three times going through her file and answers any questions we have. A few times he spent an hour with us. He has been invaluable to us with her care. He never rushed us, I called his office several times with questions, and he always calls back, I think from home. He’s what every doctor should be. I’m sending my letter tomorrow!
- Crystal Sutton Dr. Kottemann has been my doctor since i was 10!! He made several good calls while i was always sick with my asthma! He has never failed me! My daughter is blessed to have such an awesome doctor to take care of her, he is very well mannered and has always put his patients first! not like some drive thru clinic doctors i been to in the past!!!
- Colin J Wolf DR KOTTEMAN, IF YOU READ THIS YOU ARE A WONDERFULL DOCTOR,, I SUPPORT YOU AND THE DECISIONS YOU MAKE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE GIVING YOU A HARD TIME ABOUT TIME AND THE COMPUTER IS BY FAR NOT FAIR TO YOU OR ANY DOCTOR YOU ARE OLD SCHOOL THAT IS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT YOU… YOU DONT NEED TO USE A COMPUTER TO KNOW YOUR PATIENTS YOU ALREADY DO BY EXPERIANCE.. USING THAT COMPUTER JUST TELLS ME THAT OTHER DOCTORS HAS TO TYPE IN YOUR NAME TO KNOW AND TREAT YOU………I SUPOORT YOU DOC…… GIVE THEM HELL
- Doug Naugle Dr. Kotteman is a great family Doctor.
- Vicki King Dr Kottemann is a great Dr he sure has saved my life. And he’s a very good person u c him out in public he knows who u r and so what he spends time with his patients I like that and so what he doesn’t do computers.
- Jennifer Hamilton I did my externship at FMC and worked with Dr. Kottemann and he is my family doctor. I don’t want any other doctor at FMC, I want him. If they let him go for caring too much for his patients then I’m gonna have to leave FMC for good cause Memorial don’t care for their patients, they just care about money! I support Dr. Kottemann in every thing that he does for us!!!! I think we should hold up a rally at Memorial and show them how much their patients love him!!!!!
- Braxton Liechty Dr. Kotterman has been my doctor ever since my original doctor passed away. He has never done one thing wrong to me or my family. He is a very good doctor!!!!!
- Heidi Browne Dr Kottemann is a very special man. I had the honor of working for him in his office for over 7 years and he is my families Dr. I know first hand his dedication to his patients. I have seen him diagnose patients who have seen countless other Drs. I have seen him save lives and touch families. When you are with Dr K it’s like the rest of the world doesn’t exist. He truly knows how to listen which makes him the Dr he is. It’s hard to find words to describe my respect for him. He has been let down, undermined, and setup for failure. Dr K is a truly great Dr in anyway that truly counts. He appreciates your support and I encourage you to continue to share your thoughts, feelings, and to voice your opinions. Dr Kottemann is not ready to retire. he recently took his annual boards and scored at the top in our nation. Thank you all for taking the time to express your support for a man I truly admire the most.
- Patty DetmersI realy cherish all the respect, humility, and honest caring that dr. Kottemann has shown me as my doctor!! I love dr. Kottemann and the pride and caring he gives to his patients is immeasureable!! How can “memorial health systems” put a price on that amazing of a man? Yet alone one of the finest doctors they have in their employment? I have never minded waiting because he actually takes time with his patients!! How can you put a price on that? You cant! Bless you dr kottemann!!
- Judy Dano dr kotteman is the best no other dr can top him hes done alot for me and my whole family dont know what we would do without him
- Brianna L. Dennis I use to drive 2.5 hrs just to see Dr. Kotteman! He is the only doc I knw that will actually sit down in the room and actually talk to u about what’s goin on in his head! Actually have a conversation with u while tryin to figure things out! He doesn’t just walk in the room get the equipment look u over n say ok this is the issue!
- Cindy Fleshman Dr. Kotteman has been my doctor for 24 years and he does take time to listen to his patients. I have spent many hours waiting my turn and will continue to because I trust him with myself and my family.
- Shelly Birk Conley Ive been going to Dr Kotteman since he came to Lincoln….He delivered all my kids. Even the last one after he had decided to stop delivering. I trust him with everything i dont want a new Doctor!
- Carol Meredith he has been my doctor for at least 25 yrs i dont want anyone else to be my doctor he cares about his patients and take time to listen to them alot of drs dont please bring him back
- Marilyn Lumpp Wheat Dr. Kotteman has never been our Doctor, but, he worked at LDC when I was there for 33 years, he was wonderful with the kids there and was NEVER afraid to touch them, like other Doctors we had!!!! He was so kind when he was there, I wish him the best!!!
- Brenda Kurtz He has been our dr. for at least 20 yrs. No other dr. will treat his patients like he does. he has called me at home after hrs. just to see how I’m doing or to give me a test result. How many people do that in their jobs? I vote to keep dr. kottemann.
The following posts have been compiled from comments posted on this site and also on the Facebook page Support Dr. Kottemann:
- Linda Miller
I am a nurse and had the pleasure of working with Dr Kotteman when I lived in Lincoln. He treated his patients with upmost respect as fellow human beings and always had their best interests at heart. This is the current problem with health care. It isn’t about the patients anymore, they have taken a back seat to how much can be billed and reimbursed by insurance plans and the state. As a nurse of 33 years I feel medical care is going “south.” All about documentation, reimbursement and “covering your butt” and not about what it should be, LISTENING to the patients and doing your best to take care of them. Having Dr Kotteman no longer in practice is just one more big loss for the people. I don’t usually speak out like this, but felt compelled to do so, because this is just so WRONG! I hope you read this Steve and want you to know that I support you and are thinking about you. Linda Miller
Dr. Kotteman is the best Dr. anyone could ever ask for. He has treated me for as long as I can remember. I trust him and the decisions he makes regarding my health issues. He is very intelligent, patient, kind, and he doesn’t give up, he works until he figures out the problem when alot of doctors give up. I would be very disappointed if Dr.K is not re-instated and it would be a great loss to myself personally and the community!
- Nancy Otto
I have never doctored with Steve Kottemann. I only know of his care through others. I work with the public. I can tell you from what I have heard from others over the years is that he is a great physician. One who truly cares. This, I can attest to from experience. A few years back, my brother-in-law was in serious to critical condition many times. Dr. Steve, even though he was not one of the attending physicians, came to the hospital to sit with the family and was on hand to answer questions we may have and to be “the go between” with the attending physicians and family. He did this on his own time and with his own heart. I am not sure of what the whole truth is to this circumstance, regardless, I do not believe he is being treated fairly.
- Jeri Hoffman Dennis
How sad that a man, who has been nothing short of a wonderful doctor, has to be the victim of a “state of the art” system. Collateral damage of the bottom line: money. Dr. K. thank you for all the years of security you gave us, knowing that we had one of the best if we were in need.
- Linda L Baker
Dr. Kotteman has been Steve & Linda Baker’s Doctor since Dr. Blaumn left the Medical Group. We are both around the same age as Dr. Kotteman. We felt very well cared for. You knew he considered your health as important to him and you did yourself. I appreciated knowing that we were considered important enough to spend the time needed to address any of our medical concerns. We want our Doctor back, he is a wonderful person as well as a great Doctor. We continue to have the utmost respect for Dr. Kotteman.
- Bobbi Bramwell-Bender
I am a nurse and worked at Family Medical Center for 7 years. I worked with several of the physicians there, but chose Dr. Kotteman as my own personal physician. So I KNOW how Springfield is running the show in Lincoln, and I also know that Dr. Kotteman is an excellent doctor. I continued to travel to Lincoln to see him even after I moved to Springfield for years. To do this to him is outragious!!!!! But working in the medical field I am not surprised at all. It’s all about MONEY. That’s all. MONEY and not the patients!!!
Dr Kotteman always gave me the time I needed and explained everything to me regardless of how long it took. Hello Springfield…people in their 50′s and up DID NOT GROW UP WITH COMPUTERS. IT TAKES TIME TO LEARN HOW TO USE THEM. BUT TO GET RID OF A DOCTOR BECAUSE HE IS BUSY TAKING CARE OF PEOPLE INSTEAD OF SITTING IN FRONT OF A SCREEN PLAYING YOUR GAMES! Are you KIDDING ME??? People of Lincoln, stand up! Don’t go to Memorial and don’t got to FMC. You can be sure that Memorial is NOT letting the employees at FMC comment. Again, I worked there and I know how this works!!! Very sad. You should be ashamed!!! Dr. Kotteman, you are too good for them!!!!!
- Susan Carr Shelton
I first met Dr. K when he finishing up his residency rotation at the ALMH ER when he was still at SIU Med School. He’s been my doctor since he came to Lincoln and I schlep back to Lincoln every time I need to see him.. In fact, until this happened, my instructions to my family is that if I get seriously sick, drive me to the hospital in Lincoln so I can be seen by my own doctor. This is such a loss.
- Toni Bauer
Dr. Kottemann I have never had a patient/Dr relationship with any other doctor. You have kept me informed, calmed my fears, and gave me 2nd to none medical care. I know the biggest mistake FMC would ever make is letting you go. They will loose so many patients. Thank you for caring for me as a person and as a patient.
- Steve Waterworth
Recently when I called the Family Medical Center to schedule an appointment with Dr. Kotteman they told me Dr. Kotteman was on medical leave, so I’ve been patiently waiting for Dr. Kotteman to come back. Imagine how surprised I was to learn this morning in the paper that they weren’t being truthful with me. I really like everyone at the Medical Center where Dr. Kotteman worked. First rate group of caring folks you can really trust, but I do wonder about the organization that owns the Family Medical Center. It’s pretty obvious the bottom line is more important to the owners than their patients.
- Gail Tungate
Dr. Kottemann has been my doctor for 33 years, since he came here to Lincoln. My concerns are not for Memorial Medical Center or the position Dr. Kasa seems to think hes in. The only thing that is relative here is the doctor/patient relationship. This relationship is built up over years with the utmost trust and dedication between both parties. It should be the choice of the patient to see a different doctor, not the bureaucratic officals that seem to envelope all of us to one degree or another. Isnt it bad enough when insurance companies tell us what tests we should or should’nt have. What medicines we can or can’t take. How many days spent in the hospital per illiness. It goes on and on. Leave our personal lives out of it, its the only thing we have left. Doctor/patient relationships are personal. I want
my doctor back.
- Pam McCann Ridgway
Dr. Kottemann has been my doctor since he arrived in Lincoln in 1977,he delivered both of my children and I can’t think of anyone I trust more. When my son Billy Barton fell ill with cancer at the age of 5 years old,it was Dr. Kottemann who insisted that we be sent to St. Jude for his treatment. He also went with us to first appointment at the affiliate in Peoria. Know many doctors that would do that? Shame on FMC,esp for making remarks that make it sound like he has other problems such as indicated in the paper(performance concerns?) Dr. Kasa shame on you also for not standing up for a fellow doctor,has been there a few years? (referring to Dr. Kasa on youtube)How about 30 years.Maybe we don’t know every fact, but I know he is good and honorable man. Fmc should be so lucky to have a doctor who cares more about his patients then the almighty dollar. If he does not return I certainly will be looking else where for care–which will be hard to ever match! Pam Barton-Ridgway
- Robin Rogers Barton
When the computer system crashes or fails, who will take care of us then? What will happen next? We already have lost a lot of our choices, because of government, insurance, etc. Now we have a Dr. that is taken away because the system has failed him. We ALL need to step up and make this a big deal, because soon, there will be no choices for us.I’m not trying to be dramatic, it concerns me the direction that healthcare is headed. Patients need to be able to be cared for as people not a business.Just thinking….
- Patty Detmers
yes we do NEED dr. Kottemann back!!! Does a computer sit down and take the time to hear our concerns? Does a computer have any empathy or compassion?? How can you put a price tag on such caring and respect that we all receive for dr. Kottemann!! You cant!! We demand to have our doctor back!! He should be treated with the humility and respect he deserves!! I need you dr. Kottemann! You were like a father to me….
- Cinda Dorgan
You can add 6 more people to the Support Dr. K. campaign. My entire family has been cared for by him for over 30 years. He was there for us when my father was ill for so many years before his passing. He told my mother to call his home if she couldn’t get through to speak to him. He kept meticulous records for my dad during his illness that allowed him to see specialists without any problem. I have worked in the field of education for over 30 years and know how hard it was for me to keep up with technology in the classroom. I was fortunate to have sufficient training in these areas, but it takes a lot of time and effort on your own to become proficient. We would rather our physician do what he was trained to do…diagnose and treat illness…and let those who were trained to transcribe our records do so. I don’t want my records to or those of my family’s to be condensed into a “.checklist”. Dr. Kottemann we are behind you 100%! Cinda Dorgan
- Janet Chew Barkmeier
Dr. Kottemann is the epitome of the skilled compassionate physician. He is a man of highest character. Memorial Medical Center is off the mark here and needs to find a way to keep this doctor working in the community with the community. Something is VERY wrong if Dr. Kottemann’s career-long dedication culminates in this debaucle. People are NOT going to accept this…
Dr. Kottemann I wish you could just go into private practice. Yes this has 554 people supporting you, but in my case FMC would loose 3 patients plus 1 that will arrive in January.
- Diane Martin
Before I knew Dr. K was on leave. I had to take one of my kids for a check up so I saw the new dr. (at that time I did not know he was taking Dr. K’s place) I asked at that time when my dr would be back. I was told soon. My stomach had been in knots for several weeks thinking about how sick he must have been. My fear was that he was too ill and would never return. I am still sick at the lies MMC is telling.. respecting his privacy. What about the patient relationship that was ripped away leaving us to wonder how we will ever replace Dr. K.
I second the motion, Dr. Kottemann, start your own practice. We will follow! You did it once. I’m sure you could get volunteers to help until you were established. I would put in my time.
- Cindy Walker DeJarnette
My family is also in complete support of Dr. Kottemann…so that is 5 more people willing to support him in any way. We are also committed to not having anything to do with the Memorial Health System until this whole thing is put right! It may mean going somewhere else to access hospital care, but we are willing to do that. Dr. Kottemann has always been committed to giving as much time as needed for his patients and their questions and concerns…that is always one of the committed things that set him apart and at the top of his profession!still sick at the lies MMC is telling.. respecting his privacy. What about the patient relationship that was ripped away leaving us to wonder how we will ever replace Dr. K.
As most of you know from the Facebook page, I have been having some health issues and have not posted the testimonials from the last couple of days. The following comments have been gathered from Facebook comments as well as comments posted on this website. The comments are copied and pasted, with no editing. Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories.
- We have been patients of Dr. Kottemann’s since he came to Lincoln and we have no intentions of seeking out new M.D.’s…. Notice to Memorial Medical System, if Dr. Kottemann does not return to the Lincoln office, then we will not be returning nor support any facility or affiliations of Memorial Health Care System. Its that simple folks.If you want business men taking care of patients then you should be prepared for allot more mal-practice suits because that’s what it’s going to come down to in the end. 15 minutes to thoroughly question and examine a patient is unreasonable and unrealistic! How dare you say we can only have 15 minutes of any M.D.’s time for the current rate of 131.00 per visit! I will share my most recent visit to FMC in Lincoln just last week. First off we arrive on time, get called back to the exam room only to be told ” You are not in the system yet it will be a few minutes.” The M.D. comes in later after he has had time to read up on our health history. he does a thorough exam and question session. We left 2 hours after our scheduled appointment. Point being, there was no difference in seeing Dr. Kottemann and the doctor who was unfamiliar with us. This doc did not use the computer, his assistant did! So we are thinking that if the computer system crashes then what???Can FMC not see patients because the system is down??? Anyone who uses computers knows they go down often.
Dr. Kottemann is the most professional, caring,moral,patient Doctor we have ever come across and we are proud to say he IS our Doctor!! We will follow him wherever he chooses to practice and will be happy to do so! We Love you Doc!!!! ~comment anonymous~
- Dr. Kottemann has been my family physician for over 30 years. He has treated several of my family members. During that time he has always taken the necessary time with me, or my family members to go over our health care questions. I was always a person with him, not a number. He would personally call for follow up on issues of a more serious nature. I am so grateful that he has been there for me and my family through the years.~comment by Jean Garner~
- You can’t say enough about the disappointment that is felt having this fine upstanding doctor put on medical leave. A sicking feeling swells up within me every time I think about it. My mother started me with Dr. K. when he first started in Lincoln, I was very young maybe 6 years old. He has been there through everything. I can not even think about how hard or if impossible it would be to replace him. I ECHO OTHERS, I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER DOCTOR! I want Dr. Kotteman!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~comment by Diane Martin~
- My heart is truly saddened by the way Dr. Kottemann is being treated. He has been my WHOLE family’s Dr. for many years. Dr. Kottemann had never meant me prior to taking me on as a patient. I was seen for a medical problem that was misdiagnosed by a Nurse Practitioner, who is no longer with FMC. I was working in food service at the time and was losing weight rapidly . She (the Nurse Practitioner) diagnosed me with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I returned to worked with no relief and still losing weight. Dr. Kottemann had accepted me as a patient a few days later. At that time I received a phone call from him personally asking me to come in for an appointment. He said he had seen the results of my lab work and told me that I had Gerardia (giardiasis). It is an infection that occurs when you accidentally ingest the parasites. This can occur by swallowing contaminated water, by eating contaminated food, or through person-to-person contact. This infection needed to be treated and I was unable to return to work until I had been treated, as I could have infected others. Dr. Kottemann has found my mothers Cancer, my sisters Lupus and this was all done through spending time with each and every one of us, sending us for the proper testing and referring us on to the proper Specialists. Each time Dr.Kottemann walks in the office the first thing he does is apologizes for our wait. I look at him with a smile each time and tell him that an apology is never necessary. I would rather wait an extra 15 minutes or half hour for his quality care, thoroughness and compassion. You CAN NOT put a time limit on someones health. In conclusion if this means I have to lose the best Family Doctor I have known , my wish for Dr. Kottemann is to STAY TRUE TO HIS BELIEFS FOR THEY ARE WHAT HAS MADE HIM THE INCREDIBLE PERSON AND DOCTOR HE IS TODAY! Praying for his return………… Sincerely, Beth Grigg and Family
- Beth, you are so right…His belief’s are what made him the most incedible person and doctor he is.Only one of a kind he is I believe. Praying for his return as well..~comment by Therese Whitham~